Just thinking about my father. James Carter (nothing to do with a well known President (ret) of a certain large country).
I'll tell what I know and you can tell me if you know him. The problem is that by now he's probably dead, even if he died of old age.
What sketchy information I have comes from a now deceased aunt who lived in Meopham, Kent.
James Carter was a little younger than my mum-Hilda Arnold. Hilda was born in 1916 in Swansea, Wales. James was born in the county of Gloucester and we'll put his DOB somewhere around 1916-1922
At some point he moved to Swansea where he met my mum and they were both working at the Mackworth Hotel, Swansea. They were both wait staff.
Details are a little vague around this time but apparently they went to work at the Black Bull around Stoke in 1951/2.
My mother return to Swansea in 1952 to have me and neither of us saw dear old James again.
I did try what I could to find him in the 80's and 90's but doing this search from Canada was really frustrating and somewhat costly and I was told that my lack of deatils were a hindrance.
The thing is that I know exactly where he was working in 1952 (Mackworth Hotel) and know his full name (James Carter). If I could only get into the National Employment Insurance archive in Newcastle I could find his Social Security numbera nd it would be easy to track him.
(Sound of screeching brakes). This information is not available to the public. So unless I can find an employee willing to take a bribe, or Tom Cruise and the cast of Mission Impossible to break in, I'm not getting anywhere. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
Friday, May 23, 2008
Come home, Jimmy. All is forgotten...um, forgiven.
Labels:
Black Bull,
Gloucester,
James Carter,
Mackworth Hotel,
Swansea
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment